Sunday, November 1, 2009

Up above world so high

I do not like skyscrapers. Whenever I see a ground-plus one building in Dubai I feel good. Sharjah has several skyscrapers. But I feel tall buildings lack the human touch. They turn cities into concrete jungles.
Why my sudden outburst? Walking on Al Wahda yesterday, an empty toothpaste packet fell on my shoulders. I looked up, up and up. How to locate the culprit hiding in one of those multistoreyed flats! I had to just move on, thanking the stars that it wasn’t some heavy metal thrown on my head instead.
I remembered a friend who said he had a fight with his sister and threw her book away. Out it went through the window of the third floor and landed on the watchman's head. My friend had to bribe the watchman not to create a scene.
My family was staying on the fifth floor in Mumbai. My wife had asked my daughter to dump some “dal” (cooked cereal) in the garbage bin. The lazy girl quietly threw it out of the window. The “dal” splattered across a new car parked on the ground floor by an advocate. In 10 minutes, the guy was in our apartment. His Honour left only after I had tendered a thousand apologies.
And people ask why I like to wear caps! At this rate, we may be forced to wear helmets while walking near skyscrapers.

21 comments:

  1. Thanks for the laughs, I can imagine why you don't like high rise. I have not lived in them and yet i too don't like them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never thought of skyscrapers this way, but you are absolutely right, my friend. How are you? I have missed you very much, Ramesh. Many cheers and well wishes for you and your loved ones, buddy. Namaste

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damn! t could have been dangerous. Skyscraper or not, people shouldn't through stuff out of the window!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hehehe... ur anecdotes are entertaining!Dont mean to sound heartless, but I ur perspective is always 'hatke' and makes me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would beg to differ. I love skyscrapers. I think they are architectural marvels and answer to the shrinking space on earth with our teeming millions.
    When I stepped foot on Times Square I definitely knew that I was a city person. Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. once my mother in law, outta laziness threw a sada hua papaya from the window, and it landed right on the top of our family doc's brand new car...we have a different family doc now..

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL!!!! I will get a skyscraper special helmet made soon enough ;)


    P.S. - Hey it's my birthday today and I want a gift from you. A Guest post from you. You can send that gift to guest.bamboolounge@gmail.com :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. lol!!!

    These are still OK, somebody I know had a maj mishap. They used to keep flower pots on the window and one fine day it fell of landing on the brand new car of a neighbor!!!

    They are yet to pay the repair money :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. you sure it was just an empty toothpaste box? hahaha just joking, i like this space a lot its light and very spontaneous, keeps my spirits bubbly so my comments also tend to take this tone..hope you dont mind!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. watch your head! there it comes...toinggg! :P

    i have a new blog [ i know u hate my so many blogs] but this one has small little rhyming poems - do visit - http://rhymingrimes.blogspot.com/

    exams goin on - will have more time to read ur lovely posts aftermid-november - I do drop by vaise - can't resist! :) take care sir :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. hey buddy, thank you for ur such a wonderful and motivating comment...well that post I have written more in sarcastic manner...I never get affected by critics nor I blog for 100 comments...I met few of u wonderful ppl here, I have got my dues...and till u post entertaining stuff, my blogging will continue too...keep writing :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tooth paste ? must be your dazzling smile invited this...heee.Never lived in one ...thanks for cautioning ,next time i am passing through one i will be careful ..i dOn't want a full bowl of SWEET SAMBHAR raining over me...fun post,great way to start my day..thanks .

    ReplyDelete
  13. Scary thought about the helmet!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Please do visit My Travelogue. A little gift awaiting for you thr.....
    My Travelogue

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Ramesh,
    Please do visit My Travelogue. A little gift awaiting for you thr.....
    My Travelogue

    ReplyDelete
  16. Helmet idea is good! I have lived in first floor in Bangalore. Otherwise always ground floor. As you said, I too hate sky scrapers. No human tough at all. I like to see greenery through my window.

    You have got a very great sense of humour, Ramesh. I am always leaving your blog with a smile. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Even I dun't like skyscrapers :) completely concrete jungle

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ha Ha Ha, next time you should walk in the middle of the road. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOL..LOL...-cough-...LOL...
    That's why I keep coming back. Reading your blog is better than getting high on something else ;-)

    ReplyDelete