A casual chat over hot tea with colleagues Rasheed and Mariecar, turned scorching because of the subject — Snake.
"Do you know I have been bitten by a viper and had a near-death experience?" asked Rasheed. Meriecar and I reacted in shock.
He explained:"It was a monsoon evening 10 years ago. I was walking to our village library in Kerala. It was drizzling. I had almost reached the library when it happened. A viper was injecting venom in my body. It bit the second finger of my right leg.
The pain cannot be explained in words.The sudden injection of pain turned my world upside down. I did not realise it was a snake. The immediate impulse was to pick up the aggressor and tear it apart. When I lifted my leg, I was horrified to see a viper hanging. In an instant, I picked it up and threw it away. Later my friends managed to catch it.
After half an hour, I fell unconscious. And was rushed to local hospital. I was in hospital for two weeks, four days in the ICU, with 24 anti-venom drips being administered in the first 24 hours."
At this point, Manila-born Mariecar added her input. "My mom was shellshocked one day to see my toddler sister sitting next to a cobra.In Philippines, we blind the snakes before we kill them. Snakes have this revenge steak and it's better to blind them."
I looked at her and asked: "What is crawling near our table? Hope it's not a snake."
"Whatttt?" she screamed, looking down in fear and spilling the tea before throwing a book on me for telling a lie.