She entered the house of a friend and saw a Coke bottle placed on the table. “You are sweet, auntie. You have kept Coke for me and it is hot outside,” she told the lady and gulped half the bottle in one go. The “auntie” rushed to stop her, but it was late. The bottle had been refilled with toxic floor cleaner by the stupid family and left carelessly on the table. The visitor landed in hospital and luckily got cured. This happened in Mumbai.
A neighbour of mine in Sharjah was relocating. He gave me a pocket of cashew nuts. A look at it made me realise it was outdated and had to be discarded. I did not want to do that in his presence. So kept it on the table and left for office. The same evening a friend arrived from India. The moment he saw the nuts, he grabbed them and started munching. I kept telling him “It can give you stomach ache.” But he loved it. Am sure there must have been a tsunami in his tummy by late evening. Anyway, after that meeting, I have not heard from him again.
At times, we are not able to tell guests not to cross limits. A friend came home once. He opened the fridge and started consuming the juice. Then, he fiddled with the music system. My wife signalled me from the kitchen to “tell him to get lost.” I had to throw him out diplomatically.
Manners. Some people just don’t have it.